CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Of Tap Dancing & Semicolons

I am here! And well. Here is my first contribution to the quotes blog...another story from the infamous Professor Avery...

"Don't fall asleep in my class! I have a bad habit of embarrassing those people by asking them all the hard questions.

"One summer I was teaching English to a group of automotive students. It was hot & humid, and on this particular day, the air conditioning had broken. The windows were open to let cool air in, but students were still falling asleep. I was talking about something like semicolons, and decided on a way to get their attention.

"I keep on talking about semicolons...but talked more and more quietly ... softer ... softer ... and after they had all nodded off, I climbed quietly onto the desk. And started tap dancing, singing 'I'm singin' in the rain, I'm singin' in the rain!'

"They scribbled notes furiously and never went to sleep in my class again!"

0 musings: